Ever since we found out my husband had Celiac disease, he’s been begging me to find a way to make some Gluten Free Texas Kolaches. (Around here, we grew up with meat and other things stuffed inside dough being called a kolache.) These are melt in your mouth delicious and have a hidden sweet treat inside for the perfect salty/sweet combo!
This recipe was sponsored by Natural Delights™ Medjool Dates. All thoughts and ideas are my own.
Gluten Free Texas Kolaches
- Prepare cheese roll dough as directed below* (or use a store bought mix.) Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours. Once chilled and firm, using wet hands divide the dough into 6 balls and then flatten each ball into a circle, getting them as flat as possible.
- Carefully slice open (vertically) 12 Medjool dates. Place as much chopped sausage (or a small link) inside one Medjool date, and then top with another sliced Medjool date completely surrounding the sausage.
- Take one dough circle and wrap it around a stuffed Medjool date, pinching at the seems to seal the date and sausage inside. Repeat with the other 5 circles. Place the dough balls in the freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours or until frozen through.
- Remove the frozen dough balls from the freezer. Brush each with a small amount of butter or coconut oil. and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake on 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating. Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze.
Check out these other great medjool date recipes