This recipe was sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios. All thoughts and ideas are my own.
These Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Veggie Burgers are unlike any veggie burger you’ve ever had. They’re very easy to make and have a lot going for them!
Many veggie burgers you find on the frozen aisle at the grocery store or in restaurants:
- Don’t have a lot of protein in them
- Have unnecessary preservatives and fillers
- Are high in sodium
- Don’t have very many veggies in them
These Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Veggie Burgers have no preservatives, are packed with 12g protein/burger, and have a secret ingredient that is the perfect grain free binder and adds plant based protein and fat… Wonderful Pistachios!
Ground up pistachios are the perfect substitute for bread crumbs that are naturally gluten and grain free. Pistachios are known for their protein power, fiber and better-for-you mono- and polyunsaturated fats for a combination that can help keep you feeling fuller longer. Unlike meat, protein-powered pistachios (6g/serving!) are naturally cholesterol free and add fiber to your day.
I use my small food processor to grind up 1-2 cups of shelled pistachios at a time. (See photo below.)
Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Veggie Burgers
- 1 1/2 cups shelled Wonderful pistachios
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil plus more for cooking
- 1 can low sodium black beans; rinsed drained, and mashed
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce or salad dressing
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- While the skillet is heating, add the pistachios, chili powder, cumin powder, sea salt, and black pepper to a food processor and process until it forms a fine powder. Set the mixture aside.
- Add the 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil and your diced onions to the heated skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly browned. Transfer the onions to a large mixing bowl, and return the pan to the hot stove.
- Add the cooked brown rice, mashed beans, BBQ sauce (or salad dressing), and pistachio mixture to the bowl with the onions and stir everything together until it forms a thick dough that you can mold with your hands. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp more BBQ sauce or salad dressing. If it seems too wet, add additional ground pistachios.
- Form the dough into 5-6 patties. Add a small amount more of avocado oil to the skillet and place the patties in the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes, flip them, and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. They should be slightly browned on each side. Enjoy with any kind of bun you like!