These Chocolate Peppermint Energy Bites are the perfect low sugar, healthy sweet treat!
No-bake energy bites are easy to make, and these chocolate peppermint ones are super simple with only 8 ingredients. The crisp peppermint flavor comes from high quality peppermint extract or food-grade essential oil. (This is a great article that covers the differences between using an extract v. using an essential oil.) The end result is the most perfect chocolate peppermint energy bites everyone will love!
How to make Chocolate Peppermint Energy Bites (No-bake energy bites)
First, make sure you have all of your ingredients and at least an 11-cup or larger food processor. (If you have a fancy enough blender that can handle making energy bites, that will work too!)
The next step is to combine the cashews, almonds, salt, and cocoa powder in the food processor and process them down until they form a powder. *If you want to transform you chocolate peppermint energy bites into chocolate peppermint protein bites, just add 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder at this step.)
Next, you’ll add all of the remaining ingredients to the food processor and then process the dough for 3-4 minutes until it starts to ball up on the side of the bowl. (You may need to stop the food processor 1-2 times to scrape down the sides.)
Now, decide if you would like these to be balls or flat squares. If you want them to be balls, just divide the dough into 20-ish equal portions and roll each into a ball. If you want flat squares like in the photo below, press the dough into a parchment lined 8×8 pan and place it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before cutting into squares.
You can your chocolate peppermint energy bites in your refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks, or in your freezer for up to 6 months.
Chocolate Peppermint Energy Bites
- Food processor
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips dairy free
- 2 drops food-grade peppermint essential oil or 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- In an 11-cup (or larger) food processor, blend the first four ingredients until they form a powder (about 30 seconds).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of your food processor, and blend until the dough starts to ball up (about 3-4 minutes).
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and shape the dough into balls or press the dough flat into a parchment lined 8×8 baking pan.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour and then slice (if pressed flat) and transfer to an airtight container. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.