This recipe for Creamy Spinach Pasta with Shrimp (Gluten Free) was written and developed by Amanda Schroeder, our dietetic intern this semester. The sauce for this recipe is so creamy and perfect for everything from pasta to potatoes. You can serve this dish with shrimp as we do here, or have it on it’s own to keep it a vegetarian friendly meal!
Creamy Spinach Pasta with Shrimp (Gluten Free)
- ½ medium sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil separated
- 2 red or orange bell peppers chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach packed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded parmesan plus extra for garnish
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 12 oz chickpea pasta fettucine, shells, or bowtie styles would work well
- 12 oz. raw shrimp
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Cook the pasta using the instructions listed on the package.
- Using a medium pan, sauté the onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat until onions become soft/clear, about 10-12 min.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cover, reducing to medium low heat. Allow it to cook until all the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Transfer this cooked mixture to a blender and set aside.
- Using the same medium pan, sauté the chopped bell peppers in 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, add the avocado, yogurt, lemon juice, parmesan, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce and cooked peppers to the cooked pasta and stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Cook the shrimp as desired. I like to pan fry mine on the stove with butter, about 5-6 minutes per side over medium-high heat.
- Serve with extra parmesan on top, if desired.