This post is sponsored by Truvia. All thoughts and ideas are my own.
These Easy Gluten-Free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes have the perfect hint of sweetness and are so easy to make ahead for an easy weekday breakfast!
It’s getting closer to that time of year when we start to think about getting back into a routine and adding some structure back into our day. Whether you’ve got kids going back to school or just want an easy meal prep option, making some lemon ricotta pancakes on the weekend and freezing them for the week ahead is the perfect way to save time in the morning!
The best gluten-free lemon ricotta pancakes
What’s better than some super simple GF lemon ricotta pancakes? Nothing. They really can’t be beat! These lemon ricotta pancakes have the perfect amount of sweetness thanks to Truvia® Original Sweetener.
Many gluten free pancake options are either super crumbly and fall apart or end up being flat with no fluff to them at all. But, this recipe doesn’t have either of those problems. They’re super fluffy thanks to a combination of Gluten-Free all-purpose flour and almond flour, and they hold together really well.
Easy lemon ricotta pancakes
To make these lemon ricotta pancakes, we follow the typical pancake formula you might be used to. Mix your dry ingredients together. Mix your wet ingredients together. And then combine the two mixtures for the perfect pancake batter.
But, my little trick for getting really fluffy pancakes every time is to let the batter sit for a bit before you start to cook them. This gives the baking powder time to work its magic and get some air into it for the perfect fluff.
Almond ricotta pancakes
My typical formula for pancakes includes 1 1/2 cups of flour. But, I decided to swap out 1/2 cup of the regular flour for almond flour to decrease the carbohydrate count some and increase the protein content. I didn’t use all almond flour because it can make crumbly pancakes with no fluff and no one wants that.
Almond flour has less carbohydrates than wheat flour, so using almond flour for part of the flour mixture also helps these pancakes be more diabetes friendly
High protein ricotta pancakes
One other source of protein in this recipe is the ricotta cheese. It adds protein and also helps the texture of the pancakes, so they are not dry.
This recipe makes 12 pancakes. Each serving of two pancakes has 8g protein. Serve them with additional ricotta cheese or scrambled eggs and you’ve got yourself a high protein breakfast.
Are lemon ricotta pancakes healthier than regular pancakes?
Not necessarily. But, this recipe is more diabetes friendly compared to traditional pancake recipes. It has more protein as we discussed above and uses Truvia Original Sweetener and the almond flour.
Made from the stevia leaf, Truvia Original Sweetener provides the perfect amount of plant-based stevia sweetness to all kinds of recipes, and it’s great in so many breakfast favorites like coffee, smoothies, oatmeal, and more. It comes in a Spoonable jar, a larger 17oz bag, and individual packets.
How do you make lemon ricotta pancakes?
To make our pancakes, the first thing we need to do is get the cooking surface nice and hot. You really want the batter to sizzle when it hits the pan. (That temperature shock is what helps the final result be even fluffier.)
Pre-heat a large non-stick skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Then, spray the pan with your preferred cooking spray, if needed.
In a large bowl, you’ll combine your dry ingredients and set it aside. Then, in a separate bowl, you’ll combine the wet ingredients.
After that, all we have to do is combine the two mixtures and then let the batter sit for about 5 minutes before starting to cook our pancakes. You will have enough batter for about 12 pancakes.
I recommend serving your pancakes with another protein source like scrambled eggs or additional ricotta cheese and some fresh fruit!
Easy Gluten-Free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Rate this recipe!
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Truvia Original Sweetener
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- Pre-heat a large non-stick skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Spray the skillet with your preferred cooking spray if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the Gluten-Free flour, almond flour, baking powder, Truvia Original Sweetener, and salt. Whisk lightly to combine. Set that bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk, ricotta cheese, vanilla extract, eggs, oil, zest from the whole lemon, and the juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Mix together until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with your flour mixture and whisk until your batter is thoroughly combined. Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes before starting to cook your pancakes.
- Once ready, scoop your batter (about 2-3 Tbsp for each pancake) on to your preheated skillet. Let the pancakes cook for about 3-4 minutes, flip them, and then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. You will have enough batter for about 12 pancakes.
- Serve your pancakes with additional plain ricotta cheese, fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of extra lemon zest.
Super easy to make. Super tasty as well.
These were so good! 10/10
Pretty easy to make. They were good. I made them in my air fryer for ease and fast cooking; made 4 in a 4′ pie pan(for a flatter circumferenceuse a 3′), 1/4 cup of batter, baked on 400 for 10 minutes.