Semi-homemade Mexican refried beans: Growing up in Texas, I love Mexican food…well, actually… I love Tex-Mex food. It is its own blend of gloriousness and the abundance of cheese in tex-mex food had me from day one. But one of my other favorite things to order at tex-mex restaurants is refried beans! This is a simple, much less time consuming and far more nutritious way to enjoy refried beans at home!
Semi-homemade Mexican refried beans
- 2 15-oz. cans low sodium pinto beans
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil divided
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp of the avocado oil to the skillet and let it warm.
- Rinse and drain the pinto beans and then add them to a blender or food processor.
- Add in the other 2 Tbsp of avocado oil, taco seasoning, sea salt, and water. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully transfer the beans to the oiled skillet and spread them into a thin layer, being careful to not let the oil burn you.
- Let the beans cook for 5-6 minutes without stirring them.
- Stir and spread them thin again letting them cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and enjoy!