Whether your team is playing in the big game or not, we all can agree that the right food can make or break a Super Bowl party. These SUPERfood Quesadillas are so packed with flavor (and nutrition!), everyone will love them… regardless of who they’re rooting for!
This recipe was sponsored by Sprouts Farmer’s Market. All thoughts and ideas are my own.
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1-2 Tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups leafy greens torn into small pieces
- 1 15 oz. can Sprouts No Salt Added black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can Sprouts No Salt Added petite diced roma tomatoes drained
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 12 whole grain or corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Condiments for dipping: salsa, green sauce, sour cream, etc.
- Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil to the skillet to coat the bottom. Add diced onion to the pan and let it saute for 5-10 minutes until the onions start to soften. (You can let these go longer if you want more carmelized onions.)
- Next, add in the garlic, and saute it with the onions for another 5 minutes. Then, add in the leafy greens, black beans, tomatoes, turmeric, and black pepper. Stir to combine and saute for an additional 5-10 minutes to let the greens wilt and the flavors combine. Remove the veggie mixture from the skillet into a bowl and set aside.
- Carefully wipe the skillet down and add some additional avocado oil. Let it continue to stay hot over medium heat.
- Next, you will assemble your quesadillas. Cut each tortilla down the middle, so you have 24 halves. Scoop 2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella onto 12 of the halves. Then add 1-2 Tbsp of the veggie mixture on top of the cheese topped halves, then another 2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella on top of the veggie mixture. Top with the reminaing 12 tortilla halves. Cook your quesadillas to their desired doneness, flipping half way through. I like to do mine for 6-7 minutes on each side.
- Remove the quesadillas from the skillet and let them cool on a wire rack. You can leave them as is, or have a little fun with them and turn them into footballs. Take your condiment of choice, and empty some into a squirt bottle. Draw football laces onto each quesadilla as shown. Serve your SUPERfood Quesadillas with the remaining condiments, and get ready to cheer on your favorite team!