This post was sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market.
All thoughts and ideas are my own.
These smoked chicken wings are so simple and easy to prepare, perfect for your next summer barbecue!
Have you ever made your own smoked chicken wings or drumsticks?? Chicken wings, or drumsticks are a great example of something that can be done so much better at home! You get to control the sauces, seasonings, and anything else you want to put on them.
How to smoke chicken wings
To start making smoked chicken wings, that rival what you’d get in a restaurant, you need to make sure you purchase high quality chicken. But, we also want to make sure we’re not paying an arm and a leg for said high quality chicken. I’ve had the best luck finding high quality organic chicken, that’s also affordable, at Sprouts.
The Sprouts Butcher Shop Air-chilled Organic Chicken has no antibiotics (ever), no water added (the air-chilled method locks in natural juices for incredible flavor), and is raised in the U.S. The chickens are fed a certified organic diet while having access to the outdoors too!
I use a Traeger smoker but this recipe should work just fine with any smoker. You can use chicken wings or those small chicken drumsticks. Either one will work!
Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees, and then season your chicken wings or chicken drumsticks as I describe below in the recipe.
Then you’re going to cook them in the smoker for 15 minutes, flip them, and cook for another 20 minutes. And that is seriously it! So easy right! Now, go enjoy your smoked chicken wings or drumsticks!!
I like to serve them with some dips and crunchy veggies to make a pretty platter perfect for a summer barbecue!
Smoked chicken wings recipe
Fortunately, this recipe for smoked chicken wings is not super complicated at all. In fact, that’s probably how you know it is a good recipe! Smoking meats brings out so much flavor, that you don’t need a really complicated recipe. I just use a few basic seasonings and that’s it. Some recipes may call for oil or to marinate them, but I don’t typically do that. Though, you certainly can. This simpler recipe allows the flavors if the chicken to really shine through!
If you are a visual person like me, this photo might help too!
And here’s the recipe…
Traeger Smoked Chicken Wings
- 2 ½ lbs. Organic chicken wings or drumsticks (skin on) I buy these from Sprouts Farmers Market
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Dips: hummus, tzatziki sauce, spinach dip, etc.
- Veggies: peppers, cucumbers, celery, carrots, etc.
- Preheat your Traeger grill or another smoker to 350 degrees.
- Arrange the raw chicken wings or drumettes on a plate or in a baking dish.
- Mix the seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning) together in a small bowl and lightly sprinkle them over the chicken wings.
- Spread the wings out in an even layer inside your smoker, close the lid and cook for 15 minutes. Then, flip the wings and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Pull them off the smoker and arrange on your plate with your favorite dips and crunchy veggies!