My low sugar gluten free apple crisp recipe is so simple to make and loaded with delicious seasonal apple flavor!
Fall is here and I’m pretty sure there’s nothing more satisfying and cozy than a warm bowl of apple crisp! And, if you need a low sugar or gluten free apple crisp recipe, you’ve come to the right place!
Low sugar apple crisp
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it only has about half the amount of sugar of traditional apple crisp recipes… But, it has just as much flavor and deliciousness! We rely on the natural sweetness of apples and just a touch of added sugar for the perfect fall sweet treat.
How to make healthy apple crisp
Apple themed desserts are easy to sweeten because of their naturally sweet taste! So, you don’t really need a whole lot of added sweetness. And, we use protein-rich crumble topping ingredients: almond flour and oats.
Apple crisp topping tips
Apple crisp with oats is one of the most common toppings used for fruit crisp recipes. Though, usually they are combined with traditional wheat flour. But, we combine them with almond flour for a higher protein mixture, as I mentioned above.
The other great thing about oats is you can easily make a gluten free apple crisp by using gluten free oats! (And, almond flour is gluten free as well.)
Gluten free apple crisp recipe
The low sugar gluten free apple crisp recipe below will for sure be your new favorite gluten free apple dessert!
We follow a fairly simple set of steps to assemble our apple crisp and get it ready to bake.
To prep the apple slices, we coat them in spices and lemon juice and arrange them in a greased loaf pan.
Next, we’re going to prep our crumble topping by mixing our softened butter, almond flour, oats, and spices and sprinkle it on the apples. Then, we bake our low sugar gluten free apple crisp and enjoy it as is or serve with your favorite low sugar ice cream!
Healthy apple desserts
And, if you’re looking for more delicious apple recipes, give one of these a try:
Low Sugar Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Rate this recipe!
- 3 Empire apples sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar unpacked
- 1/2 cup rolled oats use gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into small squares
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the apple slices, sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and lemon juice and toss to combine. Set this bowl aside.
- Now, grease a standard loaf pan. Add the coated apple slices to the loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, almond flour, butter, and salt. Using your hands, mix the crumble topping together, squishing the butter into the mixture as you go. It should start to resemble wet sand.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the apple slices.
- Place the loaf pan in the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown and the apples are bubbling.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy it as is or serve with your favorite low sugar ice cream!