This Chia Seed Oatmeal recipe is an easy blood sugar balancing breakfast idea anyone can make!
Chia seed oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfast options for many reasons: its filling, delicious, and ready in minutes! And, by including toppings we’re adding a great balance of macronutrients!
What are some health benefits of chia seed oatmeal?
Oatmeal contains carbohydrates, protein, fiber, and many vitamins and minerals. Beta-glucan is the soluble fiber responsible for reducing total cholesterol levels, increasing satiety, and can improve blood sugar control.
Chia seeds in oatmeal? Yes! These tiny, fiber-filled seeds are a must have addition to this chia seed oatmeal recipe. Chia seeds are packed with fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential minerals that can improve digestive health and stabilize blood sugars. 80% of the carbohydrate in chia seeds comes from fiber, making it a healthy diabetes-friendly option in anything from smoothies to baked goodies!
One serving of chia seeds contains 34 g of fiber, 16 g of protein, and 30 g of healthy fats!
Combining oatmeal and chia seeds gives you the perfect combination balanced breakfast!
Why I love oatmeal with almond milk
Almond Milk gives oatmeal an excellent creamy texture! Be sure to choose unsweetened almond milk for a blood sugar friendly option!
I also recommend using unsweetened vanilla almond milk for added flavor. I love the smell when you heat it up it is so good!
How to make oatmeal with almond milk
Making oatmeal with almond milk is not any different than making it with water! Oatmeal with almond milk creates a perfect creamy texture! After combining oats and chia seeds, add in almond milk and mix until combined. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Can you cook chia seeds with oatmeal?
Do not worry, you can cook chia seeds with oatmeal! The flavors and textures combine perfectly together and as I mentioned above, the end result is packed with fiber and other nutrients!
How to cook oatmeal in the microwave with chia seeds
Choose a microwave safe bowl large enough to prevent overflow. Cook combined oats, almond milk, and chia seeds on high for 2 minutes.
Can you microwave chia seeds?
Yes, it is safe to microwave chia seeds! I recommend combining chia seeds with a liquid before microwaving so the seeds resulting in a thicker texture!
My favorite oatmeal toppings
- Peanut butter provides a creamy consistency and extra protein.
- Trail mix options such as nuts, seeds, and cacao nibs add crunch to your bowl
- Cinnamon adds some spice and flavor to your oatmeal
- Coconut chips introduces a mild flavor and crispy texture
- Bananas add additional sweetness to your bowl
- Kiwi offers a tangy-sweet flavor
- Have fun experimenting with different toppings and variations and be sure to share with me!
Some other great oatmeal breakfast recipes
Enjoy this chia seed oatmeal recipe?Try a baked oatmeal recipe!
Interested in a no bake oatmeal recipe? Try my Low Sugar Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Protein Balls!
Warm Chia Seed Oatmeal
- ⅓ cup oats use gluten free if needed
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ⅔ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- peanut butter
- Place oats and chia seeds in a microwave safe bowl, and stir until fully combined.
- Add in almond milk and mix until combined.
- Microwave on high for two minutes. Remove from microwave and add in/top with any additional mix-ins of choice!
See also: Breakfast Foods, and Chia Seed Recipes