This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. All thoughts and ideas are my own.
Roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash are the perfect veggie side dish for your family meals this season!
The holidays can be a tricky time to navigate when you have diabetes, but making sure you have some veggie loaded side dishes is a great way to balance out other holiday dishes. Roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash are a delicious option!
Where did this roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash recipe come from?
Earlier this fall I posted a recipe for an amazing Fall Harvest Salad with Grapes, Squash & Maple Apple Cider Vinaigrette that is out of this world delicious! You definitely should try it.
And, the dressing is so good I knew I needed to use it in another recipe… so decided to use it as a marinade for the veggies in this roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash dish.
What nutrients are in brussel sprouts
Brussel sprouts are high in fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Regardless of if you want to buy them already trimmed and ready to go, or in bulk from the produce section Sprouts has the perfect selection of brussel sprouts, and other seasonal veggies!
And, I just love shopping at Sprouts for all my other gluten free holiday needs. We have a lot of special dietary needs in our family, and Sprouts makes it super convenient by offering all the gluten free holiday ingredients I need! (Like the delicious Sprouts Brand Gluten Free French Fried Onions we use in this recipe!)
Tips for cooking Brussel sprouts and squash
The great thing about cooking brussel sprouts and butternut squash together is they taste great with he same types of sauces and seasonings and they have similar cook time!
Should Brussel sprouts be blanched before roasting?
Some people like to add this step before roasting brussel sprouts for extra tenderness, but you don’t have to.
How long to bake Brussel sprouts at 350
I actually prefer to cook brussel sprouts a bit higher temp of 400 degrees. This adds a bit of a. Crisp on the outside while still getting them nice and tender on the inside. Cook time will depend on how many brussel sprouts you’re cooking at one time. For this recipe, we need about 30 minutes.
How to cut butternut squash
There are a ton of amazing tutorial videos all over the internet showing how to cut a butternut squash. It is definitely less expensive to buy a whole butternut squash and cut it yourself, but most grocery stores also offer pre-cut butternut squash of you want to skip that step.
Delicious gluten free brussel sprout and veggie Thanksgiving recipes
If roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash sounds good, you’ll love these other veggie loaded side dish options for Thanksgiving!
- Carrot souffle
- Harvest charcuterie board
- Maple black pepper and bacon Brussel sprouts
- Purple sweet potato and beet soufflé
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Pecans
Rate this recipe!
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups trimmed and sliced brussel sprouts
- ½ cup pecan halves
- ½ cup Sprouts Brand Gluten Free French Fried Onions
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Thoroughly grease a 9×13 baking dish and set it aside.
- Now, combine the apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk thoroughly until fully combined.
- Next, place your butternut squash, brussel sprouts, and pecan halves in a bowl and pour the dressing over them. Stir/toss until fully coated. (You can also do this in a plastic bag or other container of your choice and just shake them up.)
- Spread the marinated veggies and pecans in the greased baking dish. Sprinkle the goat cheese and French fried onions on top and place them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the butternut squash and brussel sprouts are slightly browned and fork tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it aside to cool. Enjoy immediately!
This meal was very simple and very colorful.