This article (Grain Free Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cookie Skillet) was sponsored by The U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council. All ideas and thoughts are my own.
Who doesn’t love blueberries?! Whether they’re found inside a sweet treat like the Grain Free Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cookie Skillet at the end of this article, or just enjoyed as-is in all their glory, they’re a staple on the American table for so many reasons.
Blueberries not only help you look and feel your best, but they also pack a great nutritional punch and provide a hassle-free way to eat well year round.
One serving of blueberries offers naturally occurring sugars (one of the reasons they taste so great!) and four key nutrients: fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin K. They’re a good source of fiber (3.6g/cup), which may help you feel fuller longer. And, fiber also aids in digestion and keeps things moving, if you know what I mean… and research has also shown that diets higher in fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease and some forms of cancer.
Blueberries are also a good source of vitamin C… 1 cup gives you 16% of what you need in a day! But, vitamin C isn’t just great for your immune system, it also helps:
- protect the body against free radicals
- you absorb more iron from plant-based foods
- your body make collagen and aids in wound healing
In addition to being great for heart health, blueberries are also convenient.
Honestly, that’s one of the many reasons I love them. You can eat them as part of a Grain Free Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cookie Skillet (see the recipe below), or grab a handful and enjoy them on the go. After washing them, there’s nothing else you need to do but eat them 🙂
And they’re the perfect bite size snack for little ones too.
They’re great for adding a nutritional boost to both savory and sweet dishes like:
Whether you prefer them fresh or frozen, just remember the number 10. Fresh blueberries will last for about 10 days in the refrigerator, and frozen are good for about 10 months in the freezer.
If you’re wanting to try some new recipes and add more blueberries to your day, give these recipes a try:
But remember, just throwing some in a reusable container for an on the go snack or meal, is just fine too!
Grain Free Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cookie Skillet
Rate this recipe!
- Small 6in or 6.5in cast iron skillet
- 1/4 cup almond flour*
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp milk of choice
- Zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously grease a small 6in or 6.5in cast iron skillet with avocado oil or your oil of choice. (I would not use olive oil due to the strong taste.)
- Set the pan aside.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, and coconut sugar in a bowl. Using a fork, mix until everything is combined as best you can.
- Add in the oil, milk, and lemon zest. Stir it with your fork until a batter forms.
- Gently mix in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into your skillet and spread it out evenly so the entire skillet is covered.
- Bake it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes on a wire rack before cutting into it or removing it from the pan.